FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

WHEN AND WHERE WILL THE COURSE RUN?

The course will run from the 25th of June to the 20th of July, from Monday to Friday, 10:00-17:00. The course will take place at St. Andrew's, Short Street, SE1 8LJ. 

WHO SHOULD APPLY?

At the heart of The Bridge at Waterloo is the desire to see people achieve their dreams.  Digital Futures is for unemployed people or people moving into further study from across London, giving them the opportunity to learn coding and employability skills with Su Adams of U Can Too.   

 

Applicants are expected to commit to attending daily from 10 a.m to 5 p.m, and to engaging fully in the course activities. 

 

The course is intended for people who are beginners or have a little experience of coding and who are keen to develop their skills in both digital and project management.  It will assist people in becoming job-ready or moving into further training or apprenticeships.  

 

There are 16 places on the course of which 8 are reserved for Lambeth residents. 

 

IS THERE A CHARGE FOR THE COURSE?

No. Digital Futures is funded by the Walcot Foundation and The Bridge at Waterloo. Lunch is also provided and some bursaries are available to cover travel costs. 

 

I AM CURRENTLY RECEIVING JOB SEEKERS’ ALLOWANCE OR ANOTHER BENEFIT. WILL MY BENEFITS BE AFFECTED? 

No. We have confirmation from JobCentrePlus in Lambeth that, so long as participants continue to sign on as normal, your benefits will be unaffected. We will ensure that those who are required to sign on will be able to do so. 

 

IS THERE AN AGE LIMIT FOR APPLICATIONS?  

The course is mainly intended for people aged 18 – 35 but we do have some flexibility. 

 

WHAT IS THE APPLICATION PROCESS? 

Anyone wishing to apply should visit https://www.bridgeatwaterloo.org/digital-futures-2018and fill in the application form.  Applicants will be invited to a short interview. The closing date for applications is 12 noon on Friday 25th May. 

 

WHAT IS THE COURSE CONTENT? 

60% of the course will focus on coding and digital. The remaining 40% will focus on training in employment skills, including CV writing, interview technique, conflict resolution, effective communication and more! Last year, these sessions were provided by Suited & Booted, Dress for Success, DebateMate, and Facebook.

 

WHAT WILL COURSE ATTENDERS GAIN FROM DIGITAL FUTURES? 

They will gain an understanding of basic coding skills, and advice on how to develop your skills. They will learn about project management and development, and you will build your confidence through the engagement in ‘soft skills’ such as CV writing and prioritising. 

 

Course attenders will be supported by a mentor for six months as they seek full time employment or further training, and they will, subject to placements, be given up to two weeks’ work experience with a local employer. 

 

WHAT IS THE PROJECT WHICH DIGITAL FUTURES ATTENDERS WILL WORK ON? 

The course will end with an interactive digital dance exhibition at Coin Street Community Builders. The dance is choreographed by Rebecca Evans of the Pell Ensemble, and will make extensive use of the new skills learnt by TBAW’s students.

 

WHAT WILL THE WORK EXPERIENCE INVOLVE?

Where possible, students will be provided with two weeks of work experience at a local employer such as King’s College London. This could be in a range of areas from marketing through front of house to more technical support services.  

St John's Waterloo, Waterloo Road, London, SE1 8TY

Contact us at tbaw@stjohnswaterloo.org